To be raised in the south is a privilege. It means many things, but to me it has meant a love of all things preppy and classic, Lilly, Pearls, bows, ribbons, and the color pink. Graciousness is key, and one never leaves home without a little make up.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Recipe: Trail Chili

One thing that I find in common with many southern women is a love of cooking.  My friends from the north typically prefer to go out a good bit more, and don't enjoy it as much as my southern cohorts.  This is of course not true across the board at all, but I do find it to be a theme of conversation among southern women!  Another thing we all have in common is a love of SIMPLE yet DELICIOUS recipes.  I have slaved over super complicated recipes that have taken me hours... and yes, they usually turn out well, but they are exhausting, and who has time for that?

So, one of mine and Michael's favorite things to eat is chili.  He is always wildly happy when I make chili. Texting me all day how he can't wait until dinner time!  So I thought I'd share the recipe I've been using this year.  It's a slow cooker chili, and it's yummy!!


Now, we like to add fritos on top of ours, but that's just our preference!  It is yummy btw if you haven't tried that!!

Trail Chili
(Original Recipe by Jeanne Allen--Mine is modified)

1lb ground chicken
1 large onion, diced
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 can rotel diced tomatoes and chilis (original)
1 16 oz. can kidney beans, undrained
1 cup water
2 garlic cloves minced

Season to taste with: chili powder, ground cumin, pepper, salt, and garlic powder

1. Brown chicken (I season with italian seasoning)  Drain and place in slow cooker.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients.  
3. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.


I hope you enjoy it, it's really very easy, just taste it along the way and make sure it's turning out how you like, or add more seasonings!  I love tweaking recipes, I may try to add beer instead of water and see what kind of flavor that brings next time!

XX,
Brooke

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm I love chili! I will have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a real crowd pleaser! I get rave reviews whenever I make it, plus it's so simple to make early in the day and then relax when company arrives! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete