To be raised in the south is a privilege. It means many things, but to me it has meant a love of all things preppy and classic, Lilly, Pearls, bows, ribbons, and the color pink. Graciousness is key, and one never leaves home without a little make up.

Friday, December 30, 2011

GH Bass (a new love!) + a bit about me

I first remember hearing of GH Bass in relation to Bass Weejuns.  My parents both wear Weejuns, and I remember thinking that they looked very nice, and confusing the brand a bit with the outdoor/hunting Bass brand.  I thought of Bass Weejuns again when reading True Prep, and first getting into preppy blogs last year around this time.  Just prior to that, my friend gave me a book: I <3 Your Style, How to Define and Refine Your Personal Style by Amanda Brooks.  I really enjoyed reading this book and truly considering what my personal style actually was.  Everything Brooks listed as Classic I loved (Blue Blazers, white OCBD, shift dresses, fair isle sweaters, sweater sets, etc) this was what I liked.  After identifying strongly with this style, and realizing I also enjoy the more extreme of classic: prep.  I enjoy bright colors, pink and green paired together, pearls, pearls, pearls, and bows.  Once I realized this I sought to eliminate other influences.  Purging my closet of unworthy articles, and trying new things, and often, new brands!  For instance, I wear a number of things from LL Bean now, and previously I had forgotten about it since my days of ordering uniform clothes from there.

Most recently my new brand love is GH Bass!  There is a bass outlet here in Charlotte!  And boy does it have fabulous prices!  Located right near carowinds in a shopping center I had never explored.  Very near to Michael's house, it was once the main source of their shoes, forgotten for years, his parents rediscovered it in time for Christmas.  I received an adorable blue argyle sweater and these:


I think they're pretty cute, and very comfortable.  The fleece is super soft and cozy around my ankles, and worn under pants on a cold day they add a little extra warmth.  In general they are just solid well made shoes, something I don't have too much off, I feel.  So I ventured to the outlet to see what I could find.




My very own weejuns!  At first I felt they were a little masculine, but that may just be the nature of these sorts of shoes.  I wore them today with a simple outfit of Jeans, a red plaid shirt (also from Bass) and camel sweater.  I enjoyed them a lot and wish I had snapped a photo of the outfit (but I am not one to often do that, perhaps I should get in the habit as that is popular among blogs...)


Sweaters I found at GH Bass, for crazy prices of twenty or under.  All marked down from 69.00+ and they are comfortable, and seem to be made well.  I was happy to advance my sweater collection.


Vintage Dooney bag I'm carrying!  Borrowed from my future MIL, and I adore it.  Inspired to wear vintage dooney by the one and only Sarah Vickers (of KJP) and boy have I gotten loads of compliments.


XX,
Brooke

PS: If you are regularly reading my blog, please follow or comment so I can get to know you or at least show my appreciation!!!  Thank you :)

3 comments:

  1. I have a pair of Weejuns myself (the penny kind, not tassel), and I love them. I will warn you, the newest versions have a really terrible quality particle board "leather" bottom that chips instead of wearing evenly like the solid leather bottoms on mine, as well as vintage models. They won't last you very long at all, and you'll have to put in the extra expense of having them re-soled by a professional shoe cobbler. However, once that is done, they should last a very, very long time.

    Also, good choice on the change of font and color. Your entries are much easier to read now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, that is terrible about the particle board... I had thought it felt a bit strange. I guess I didn't pay too much for them, only 35 at the outlet so getting them eventually resoled wouldn't be the worst thing... I hope to eventually find a light brown pair of penny loafers too, I loved that color but they didn't have my size, so I went with tassels! Otherwise they are well made, sturdy feeling shoes!

    Oh and thank you very much, I thought I needed to tweek things a bit.

    Oh and btw, I noticed the LL Bean camp mocs when looking at the Blutcher Mocs... I think I'd find those simpler to pull off as a girl. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. $35 is a great deal. I paid a lot more for mine. I bought mine from J.PRESS in the Hankyuu Department Store in Osaka, when the particle board had already come out. Japan is more expensive in general, American brands are more expensive in Japan, and since customers were ignoring the particle board versions, the all leather sole versions were still very costly. I've had them for two years already and they still look great, so, despite the cost, they were a good investment.

    The camp mocs are a loafer, basically a loafer version of a boat shoe. The bottom is cut in the Sperry design for deck traction. That being said, you can't cinch it, since it is a loafer and lacks and the blucher part of a typical boat shoe, so I wouldn't recommend any serious sailing in it. As far as style is concerned, I think it's great. I used to have a pair from Cole Haan, but they eventually wore out after about ten years of abuse. I only threw them away about a year and a half ago, and they had holes!

    Funny about the blucher mocs, though. My mother once asked me if I was wearing "women's shoes." When I asked her why, she said, when she was in high school and college, she had a pair herself. Just goes to show... prep never really changes.

    ReplyDelete