To be raised in the south is a privilege. It means many things, but to me it has meant a love of all things preppy and classic, Lilly, Pearls, bows, ribbons, and the color pink. Graciousness is key, and one never leaves home without a little make up.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Recent Lilly Loves

I am a big fan of Lilly Pulitzer prints.  Mostly because they are very feminine, and often just sugary sweet.  Preppy dressing can at times be alarmingly androgynous, Lilly can break this sort of thing up quite easily.  A simple outfit of chino shorts, a polo and flats looks very feminine with a lilly tote.  I just adore it.  However the prices are always a tad high, so until I (or Michael...) become a millionaire I lust from afar, find things on ebay, and occasionally save up!!  Also, I wish I had actually found something in my size during the Lilly sale!!  Maybe next time!  Anyway, here are some of my favorites:

I am a huge HUGE fan of Valentines day... and I would adore wearing this!  And I would of course wear it other times, because I'm generally a big fan of Love :).


Such a cute print: "Hotty Pink Love Bug", and the makeup bag is so structured, I adore it.  And for 38, it's a possible treat!  

Another Valentines option, over a simple white or pink shirt.  I love this so much and again if it wasn't 118.00, it would be MINE.  I just have a hard time parting with that much for a scarf, but we will see!!!  I just adore it, so sweet.

ALSO, Lilly is currently hosting the Sorority Print competition and Phi Mu is in the second round!!  Voting ends Monday, so VOTE FOR PHI MU!!!!  The voting is done Via facebook, at the Lilly page.

XX,
Brooke

5 comments:

  1. Androgyny is actually one of the things I love most about the prep aesthetic, and Lilly is known to produce menswear as well. Lilly pants with an otherwise conservative top half is, next to patched madras, classically go-to-hell.

    I saw KD already has one, but in addition to Phi Mu I had to vote for AOII (the sorority most associated with my chapter of Kappa Sigma) and Tri-Sigma (which is also at my school).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, and I adore the menswear. I so wanted to buy my bf swim trunks from Lilly this summer, he's not quite there yet though... I guess I just meant that it would be pretty easy for you and I to wear the exact same preppy outfit, but when I have a little Lilly going on it spices up a preps normally simple wardrobe, and makes me feel feminine. It's the little things like pearls, nice hair, and a feminine touch that distinguishes the preppy girl look from preppy boy. I certainly prefer boat shoes and oxfords, but there is a way to rock it that is charming and sexy even in a mysterious sort of way. And then there are those who just look as if they aren't trying... it is a fine line I find.

    And thanks for voting!! I am not familiar with AOII as we only had Phi Mu, ADPi, KD, and Chi O. But I understand :) I hope we all get a print! And yes KD already won last year! So I have spent a year looking longingly at the prints hoping for Phi Mu to get one... it would be a fun way to show Phi Mu pride as an alum. After living in Letters and Event tees for four years I miss showing my pride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tri-Sigma and KD were founded at the same university and have an agreement- they will not go to a school where the other is already present. We have two universities in town. One has KD. One has Tri-Sigma.

    I hadn't run into AOII until recently either, but I know Arkansas has a chapter, as well as some other major state universities.

    Chi O's only male founder (and technically the only male Chi O?) was a Kappa Sigma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that's interesting!! Phi Mu and ADPi were both founded at the same university, but we have a unique relationship as our founders were suite-mates and so we are sister sororities, even sharing national headquarters! I wonder why Tri-Sigma and KD decided that. Incidentally, ADPi is the first oldest sorority, (They have barely a year on us) and we are the second! Just a fun fact :)

    "Prominent figures such as Robert E. Lee, T.J. "Stonewall" Jackson, and Jefferson Davis were among several chosen to receive honorary membership to Phi Mu".

    And I believe historically we had ties to Kappa Alpha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jefferson Davis is also a Kappa Sigma. His son, Jefferson Davis, Jr was a member of Xi chapter and died from a fever when he refused to leave his Kappa Sigma brothers that fell ill. Jefferson Davis is the only honorary member of Kappa Sigma in our entire history, and the honorary wasn't really just honorary as I believe he had access to ritual and everything. So it was more like above and beyond a regular member.

    ReplyDelete