To be raised in the south is a privilege. It means many things, but to me it has meant a love of all things preppy and classic, Lilly, Pearls, bows, ribbons, and the color pink. Graciousness is key, and one never leaves home without a little make up.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Animal Love, and Animal Rights.

I am not normally one to rant on the internet about my feelings.  I'm especially not one to rant on facebook, and yet last night I did.  It wasn't about politics, or religion.  It was about animal rights, the one thing I cannot ignore.

The story was that a sorority sister was moving, and had to get rid of her cat.  This sort of thing always upsets me, but it is a reality.  I think she waited a bit to long to try and find her cat a home, as her deadline was tomorrow.  So after a post or two, another sorority sister began posting about how this kitty would be "turned out" if there wasn't a spot for her in time.  This upset me, and I luckily ran into the cat owner and let her know I was available to help in any way I could, and to let me know if something fell through.  The next day sorority sister number two posts a silly picture, labeling the kitty as a future "dumpster kitty" and I absolutely lost it.  I was horrified and disgusted that she could degrade this creature, who didn't deserve any of this and I let her know how disappointed and disgusted I was.  And no, I wasn't very nice about it either.  I don't curse, but I let her know exactly how truly horrible and wrong it was to say that it was the only option when I had specifically offered to help.  Such cruelty to animals I cannot tolerate in any way.  I have been rescuing animals since I was 5.  We would spend hours trying to catch kitties that had been "turned out" and were terrified and moments from death, we lost many animals, and our hearts broke every time.  But I will never stop believing that animals are the greatest source of love we can have in this world.

I hate when something like this happens, and I see the person in a very different and negative light.  There's really not much that can be done of it, the girl wrote to me such a self righteous message, and roommates of hers boasted of what a responsible pet owner she was, etc.  All I cared about was the cat, she was all that mattered.  Thankfully a home was found for her, I just couldn't believe how it all played out.  How differently you can see the world than someone else, it's just unbelievable.

Thanks for listening, it's been a long week.  However in a good news I was offered a position at the Bank I interviewed with and I am very, very excited.

XX,
Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment